Dopt orders on MACP: Benchmark to be enhanced from Good to Very Good for all the posts
G.I, Dep. of Per. & Trg., O.M. No.F.No.35034/3/2015-Estt.(D), dated 28.09.2016
Modified Assured Career Progression Scheme (MACPS) for the Central Government Civilian Employees : Implementation of Seventh CPC recommendations.
The Modified Assured Career Progression Scheme was introduced with effect from 01.09.2008 in pursuance of the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission by this Department’s OM No.35034/3/2008-Estt(D) dated 19th May, 2009. Subsequently, clarifications/ FAQs were issued vide OM dated 16.11.2009, 09.09.2010, 01.04.2011, 13.06.2012, 04.10.2012 and 10.12.2014. These instructions are in force with effect from 01.09.2008.
2. The 7th Central Pay Commission (CPC) in para 5.1.44 of its report has recommended inter-alia as follows:
MACP will continue to be administered at 10, 20 and 30 years as before. In the new Pay Matrix, the employee will move to immediate next level in hierarchy. Fixation of pay will follow the same principle as that for a regular promotion in the Pay Matrix. MACPS will continue to be applicable to all employees up to Higher Administrative Grade (HAG) level except members of Organised Group A Services.
3. The Government has considered the above recommendation and has accepted the same. In the light of the recommendations of the 7th CPC accepted by the Government, the Modified Assured Career Progression Scheme (MACPS) will continue to be administered at 10, 20 and 30 years as before. Further, Para 1 and 2 of the existing Scheme (Annexure to this Department’s OM No. 35024/3/2008-Estt.D dated 19th May, 2009) will be substituted by the following words:-
1. There shall be three financial upgradations under the MACPS as per 7th CPC recommendations, counted from the direct entry grade on completion of 10, 20 and 30 years services respectively or 10 years of continuous service in the same level in Pay Matrix, whichever is earlier.
2. The MACPS envisages merely placement in the immediate next higher level in the Pay Matrix as given in PART A of Schedule of the CCS (Revised Pay) Rules, 2016, Thus, the level in the Pay Matrix at the time of financial upgradation under the MACPS can, in certain cases where regular promotion is not between two successive levels in the Pay Matrix, be different than what is available at the time of regular promotion. In such cases, the higher level in the Pay Matrix attached to the next promotion post in the hierarchy of the concerned cadre/organisation will be given only at the time of regular promotion.
4. The 7th Central Pay Commission (CPC) in Para 5.1.45 of its report has interalia recommended as follows:
Benchmark for performance appraisal for promotion and financial upgradation under MACPS to be enhanced from Good to Very Good.
5. The Government has considered the above recommendation and has accepted the same. In the light of the recommendations of the 7th CPC accepted by the Government, Para 17 of the Scheme (Annexure to OM No.35024/3/2008-Estt.D dated 19th My, 2009) shall be substituted by the following words:-
17. For grant of financial upgradation under the MACPS, the prescribed benchmark would be Very Good for all the posts.
6. These changes will come into effect from 25th July, 2016, i.e., from the date of resolution notified by Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance regarding acceptance of the recommendation of the 7th CPC.
7. The comprehensive MACP Scheme on acceptance of Seventh Central Pay Commission recommendations will be issued separately.
Click to view the original order