Payment of TA/DA to retired government servants
372/3/2007-AVD-III (Vol. 10)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 14th October, 2013
Subject: Recommendations of the Committee of Experts on Disciplinary & Vigilance Inquiries (Hota Committee) – Para 38 of the Committee’s Report regarding payment of TA/DA to retired government servants appearing as witnesses in proceedings before the CDI in CVC – Government’s decision thereon – reg .
The undersigned is directed to say that the Govenunent had appointed a Committee of Experts to review the procedure for DisciplinaryNigilance Inquiries and recommend measures for their expeditious disposal.
The Committee comprised the following:
(i) Shri P.C. Hota, Former Chairman, UPSC – Chairman
(ii) Shri Arvind Varma, Former Secretary, DoPT – Member
(iii) Shri P. Shankar, former CVC – Member.
2. The Expert Committee has, in para 38 of its Report, inter alia, recommended that “In case the witness is a retired Government Servant and is appearing before the CDI in a Departmental Inquiry, the expenses would be borne, in the first instance, by the CVC and subsequently be adjusted with the Department/Organisation concerned.”.
3. The aforesaid recommendation of the Hota Committee has been considered by a Committee of Secretaries (CoS) under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary and the CoS has recommended acceptance of this recommendation. Government has accepted the recommendation of the Hota Committee as endorsed by the CoS.
4. Accordingly, it has been decided that in cases where any of the witnesses in a departmental inquiry is a retired Government Servant and is appearing before the CDI in the Central Vigilance Commission in the Departmental Inquiry, the expenses on payment of admissible TA/DA to such witness would be borne, in the first instance, by the Central Vigilance Commission and subsequently be adjusted with the
5. The above decision of the Government is brought to the notice of all Ministries/Departments for information and compliance.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
1. All Ministries/Departments of the Government of India
2. Secretary, Central Vigilance Commission, New Delhi
Copy to Sr. Tech. Director, NIC, DoPT for uploading on the website of DoPT