No. 6/2/2009-Estt (Pay-I), (Vol-II)
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
(Department of Personnel & Training)
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 6th June, 2016
Subject: Participation by Central Government servants in sporting events and tournaments of National or International importance – comments invited on – reg
This Department proposes to issue clarification with regard to the term ‘finals’ used in OMs dated 18.05.2010 & 16.07.1985 (copies enclosed) and also with regard to the distinction between athletic/equivalent and nonathletic/equivalent sporting events, in respect of participation by Central Government Servants In Sporting Events of national/international importance.
2. A copy of draft OM is placed on this Department’s website for comments. Ministries/Departments are requested to send their comments to this Department at email ID firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com latest by 17thJune, 2016.
Under Secretary to the Government ofIndia
1. All Ministries/Departments of the Govt. of India, etc. (as per standard
2. NIC, DoPTfor uploading this OM on the Department’s website under OMs and Orders (Establishment –> Pay Rules) and also under “What is New”.
No.6/2/2009- Estt (Pay-I), (Vol-II)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
New Delhi, ,2016.
Sub: Participation by Central Government servants In sporting events and tournament of National or International importance.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s OM No. 6/1/85-Estt (Pay+I) dated 18th May, 2010 which clarifies Inter-alia that sportspersons participating In sporting events (individual/team) of national/international importance will be treated as having achieved excellence for the purpose of grant of increments if they achieve lst, 2nd or 3rd position in the finals of sporting events, if more than three individuals or teams have participated in the events. If only three or less individuals or teams have participated in the finals of a sporting event, the sportsperson / team achieving first position will be treated as having achieved excellence.
2. The question as regards treating the term ‘finals’ used in OM dated 18.5.2010 and also the distinction sought to be made between athletic / equivalent and non- athletic / equivalent sporting events has been engaging the attention of the Government. In the case of athletic / equivalent sporting events, which are generally decided on the basis of finishing position and which do not involve level-related concept e.g. finals, semi-finals and are held all at one go, there would be no ‘finals’. The three individuals / teams that secure first three positions shall be said to have achieved excellence, if
more than three individuals / teams have participated in the sporting events of national/international importance for the purpose of grant of incentive increments. This benefit, however, is granted to the individual/team, who achieve the first position only, if the number of individuals / teams that participate in the sporting event is three or two.
3. In the case of non-athletic / equivalent sporting events, which are generally single elimination sporting events and which involve level-related concept, the individuals / members of the teams achieving first and second positions respectively In the finals and both the losing semi-finalist individuals / members of the teams achieving third and fourth positions respectively shall be said to have achieved excellence for the purpose of grant of incentive increments, if more than three individuals / teams have
participated in the sporting events of national/international importance for the purpose of grant of incentive increments. This benefit, however, is allowable to only one individual/team, if the number of individuals / teams that participate in a sporting event is less than three.
4. These orders shall be in supersession of the OM No. 6/1/85-Estt(Pay-1) dated 18th May, 2010. The provision as contained in the OM No.6/1/85-Estt(Pay-1) dated 16th July, 1985 shall continue to apply. Past cases may also be decided accordingly.
Deputy Secretary (Pay)
View Government Circular