National Pension System to Old Pension Scheme
Proceeding on adoption of Resolution on Abolishing NPS
(Brief summary of proceedings)
Monday, 26 November 2018 / 05 Margshirsha 1940 (Saka)
10. 6.51 PM Calling Attention (Rule-54) :
Shri Ajay Dutt called the attention of the Government towards “Abolishing National Pension System (NPS) and reinstate the old Pension System in the interest of lakhs of Government Servants“.
Sh. Arvind Kejriwal, Hon’ble Chief Minister made a brief statement.
The following Resolution moved by Sh. Ajay Dutt was put to vote and adopted by voice-vote :
“The Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi, having its sitting on 26 November 2018 :
Taking note of the negative consequences of the anti-employee National Pension System (NPS) that is imposed on the Government Servants by the then NDA Government in 2004 and sustained by the UPA-I, UPA-II and NDA-II Governments,
Given the fact that, unlike the old pension scheme, the NPS :
- does not give any guarantee to the employees either for assured returns on investments or for minimum pension.
- does not provide for family pension or social security,
- does not provide for loan facility when in dire need,
- does not provide for annual increments and hike in DA,
- does not allow the employees to withdraw enough money from their own pension fund to meet the medical emergencies,
- leaves the employees at the mercy of volatile markets and the forces that have notoriously been manipulating the markets,
- imposes draconian restrictions on withdrawals from pension fund,
- allows the insurance companies to exploit employees by way of forcing them to buy annuity for a minimum of ten years even after retirement, and
- runs contrary to the spirit of welfare state as enshrined in the Constitution,
Given the fact that the pro-people and welfare oriented Government of NCT of Delhi is strongly in favour of restoring the rights and privileges of its employees by way of replacing the NPS with the time tested old pension scheme,
Resolves to urge upon the Government of India to scrap the NPS with immediate effect and bring at once all the Government Servants working under the Government of NCT of Delhi under the old pension scheme and restore to them all the benefits of the old pension scheme wherein the fair and legitimate pensions’ benefits are disbursed through the Consolidated Fund of India, so that the dedicated work force of the Government of NCT of Delhi and their families will be able to lead their lives with sense of security and dignity, and
Further resolves to urge upon the Government of India to restore t he old pension scheme in place of NPS or the benefit of all the Government Servants working under the Government of India and also to actively encourage other States to follow this true welfare measure”
Source: Delhi Assembly