Major activities of Department of Defence for the month of March, 2019
Permanent Commission (PC)
(1) Ministry of Defence has taken steps to ensure implementation of
permanent commission to women in the Armed Forces. In so far the Indian
Air Force is concerned, all branches, including Fighter Pilots, are now
open for women officers. In Navy, all non-sea going
branches/cadre/specialization have been opened for induction of women
officers through Short Service Commission (SSC). Women officer will be
granted PC in the Indian Army in all the ten branches where women are
inducted for Short Service Commission.
(2) A delegation led by Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defence,
Thailand visited India on 7th March, 2019 to attend the 7th meeting of
India-Thailand Defence Dialogue, co-chaired by Additional Secretary
(3) A delegation led by Defence Secretary visited United Kingdom to
attend the 20th India-UK Defence Consultative Group (DCG) meeting from
7th to 9th March, 2019.
(4) A delegation led by loint Secretary (Planning and International
Cooperation) visited Argentina and Chile from 11 th to 15th March, 2019
to discuss defence cooperation issues.
(5) A delegation led by Additional Secretary (SC) visited Australia
to attend the 6th meeting oflndia-Austra lia Defence Policy Talks (DPT)
from 13th to 15th March, 2019.
(6) A delegation led by Defence Secretary visited Uzbekistan from
25th to 29th March, 2019 and discussed issues related to bilateral
(7) A contract for procurement of 70 mm Rocket and associated
equipment for Advanced Light Helicopter (WSI) in respect of IAF and IA
has been signed with M/s Thales, Belgium S.A on 28th March, 2019 at
negotiated contract price of Euro 148,500,000 @ 1 Euro = Rs. 70.35 as on
22nd July, 2015.
(8) A contract has been concluded for procurement of 23x3D CID Band
Air Surveillance Radar (3D ASRs) amounting to Rs. 1183.53 crore.
(9) A contract for Card Mfg & Personalization & Chip PS
Development (RFP-1) for Navy-wide Implementation of RFID based SMART
ACCESS Card Project has been signed with Mis BEL Bengaluru on 14th
March, 2019 at a total cost of Rs 52.02 crore.
(10) A contract “for Navy-wide Implementation of RFID based SMART
ACCESS Card” Project on turnkey basis (RFP-II) was signed with Mis Tech
Mahindra Ltd. on 14th March, 2019 at a total cost ofRs. 254.59 crore.
(11) Minister of State for Defence on the occasion of Janaushadhi
Diwas inaugurated a Janaushadhi Kendra at Base Hospital in ew Delhi on
7th March, 2019. It will be a pilot Kendra, which is in line with
Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP). Ministry of
Defence last year had mandated Janaushadhi Kendras to be empanelled with
ECHS as Authorised Local Chemist (ALC) which will benefit the
provisioning of medicine at much cheaper rate vis-a-vis market.
(12) President and Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces
conferred 05 Kirti Chakras and 30 Shaurya Chakras to Anned Forces
Personnel for displaying conspicuous gallantry, indomitable courage and
extreme devotion to duty at a solemn ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan
on 14th and 19th March, 2019. 04 Kirti Chakras and 03 Shaurya Chakra
were given posthumously. The President also conferred 28 Param Vishisht
Seva Medals, 03 Uttam Yudh Seva Medals and 51 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals
to senior officers of the Armed Forces for distinguished service of an
(13) Interceptor Boat (IB) C-444 & C-446 built by Mis L&T were inducted on 18th March, 2019.
(14) On 22nd March, 2019, Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Rajveer
apprehended one Indonesian fishing boat with 03 crew in position 05
nautical mile south Katchall Island. ICGS Rajveer along with apprehended
Indonesian fishing boat entered Port Blair on 25th March, 2019 for