Booking of Air Tickets 2022
On December 31, 2021, the Ministry of Finance published an order regulating the booking of air tickets for government employees, which would take effect on January 1, 2022.
No. 19024/03/2021-E. IV
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
North Block, New Delhi.
Dated the 31st December, 2021
Subject: Modification of instructions regarding Booking of Air Tickets on Government account.
The undersigned is directed to refer to extant orders of this Department whereby in all cases of air travel where the Government of India bears the cost of air passage, the officials concerned are to travel by Air India only and air tickets are to be purchased directly from Air India or by utilizing the services of the three Authorized Travel Agents viz. M/s Balmer Lawrie & Company Limited (BLCL), M/s Ashok Travels & Tours (ATT) and Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC).
2. In view of the decision of the Government for disinvestment of Air India, it has been decided that in all cases of air travel where the Government of India bears the cost of air passage, air tickets shall be purchased from the three Authorized Travel Agents viz.
i) M/s Balmer Lawrie & Company Limited (BLCL),
ii) M/s Ashok Travels & Tours (ATT)
iii) Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC)
3. The travel agents are expected to provide to the Govt, employees the ‘Best available fare’ on the date of booking on the basis of tour programme as per their entitlement.
4. The choice of the travel agent for booking of ticket from those in Para 2 is left open to the Ministry / Department. Tickets may be arranged by the office or may be booked by the employee himself. No agency charges will be paid to booking agency i.e. any of the three Authorized Travel Agents viz. M/s Balmer Lawrie & Company Limited, M/s Ashok Travels & Tours and Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd.
5. All Mileage Points earned by Government employees on tickets purchased for official travel shall continue to be utilized by the concerned Department for other official travel by their officers. Any usage of these mileage points for purpose of private travel by an officer will attract Departmental action. This is to ensure that the benefits out of official travel which is funded by the Government should accrue to the Government. The travel agents shall inform about accrued mileage points to the Ministry / Department on quarterly basis.
6. In case of unavoidable circumstances, where the booking of ticket is done from unauthorized travel agent / website, the Financial Advisors of the Ministry / Department and Head of Department not below the rank of Joint Secretary in subordinate / attached offices are authorized to grant relaxation.
7. To ensure timely payment of air ticket to the travel agents, to confirm the performance of journey, the employee has to submit a certificate / undertaking in prescribed proforma (enclosed as Annexure-1) within 7 days of completion of journey. TA bill may be submitted later as per the existing rules.
8. All Ministries / Departments are directed to ensure strict compliance of the order and to widely circulate this O.M. in all offices including attached / subordinate offices / autonomous bodies under their control.
9. These orders shall be effective from 01.01.2022
10. This is issued with the approval of the Finance Secretary & Secretary (Expenditure).
Modification of instructions for Booking of Air Tickets – DoE Order PDF Download