Centre move to bring all construction workers under EPFO
The Additional Provident Fund Commissioner has sent a circular to all regional PF offices instructing them that senior officials should visit construction spots, including roads, bridges, pipeline, railway line, buildings and enroll the workers for the benefit of the scheme.
EMPLOYEES’ PROVIDENT FUND ORGANISATION
(Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt of India)
Bhavishya Nidhi Bhawan, Bhikaji Cama Place, New Delhi – 110 065
All Regional PF Commissioners,
In-charge of Regional /Sub Regional Offices
Subject: Coverage of all construction workers under the ambit of Employees Provident Funds and Misc. Provisions Act, 1952.
May please refer to Head Office Circular No. C-III/ 110001/4/3(71) Misc /2013/DL/12802 dated 08.10.2013 (Place at Sl. No.428) and Circular No CIII/110001/4/3(71)Misc/2013/DL/34862 dated 22.01.2015 CPFC has also sent e-mails on the subject. The issue has also been discussed in various meetings held at Zone level and attire Head Office level and instructions have also been given vide those minutes.
2. A latest letter from the Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Employment addressed to the CPFC is enclosed. It emphasize on the coverage of all the Building & Other Constructions Workers to ensure that this coverage is complete. The following should be done immediately.
(i) Meetings should be held with Central Public Sector Undertakings which are functioning under your area in one or other way to ensure that all workers employed in the construction work are registered under UAN. Minutes of the meeting should be uploaded on the website and should be sent on email of CPFC as well as on the email of ACC(Compliance)
(ii) Meeting should be held with State PSUs and State Department so ensure that all coverage of through construction workers takes place in respect of the workers working in these PSUs or departments including those deployed through contractors / sub-contractors. Minutes of these meetings be uploaded on the website and should be sent on email of CPFC as well as on the email of ACC(Compliance).
(iii) Meetings with all the Trade Unions representatives should be held to deliberate on the issues of coverage of construction workers and action should be taken as per law on the suggestions made by the union representatives. The minutes of the meetings and action taken report be uploaded on the website and should be sent on email of CPFC as well as on the email of ACC(Compliance).
(iv) All construction sites which are located in your regions/sub- regions be visited. Photographs be taken, especially when the work is going on. This must be done in respect of the buildings where the area being constructed is 10,000 sq.ft. or more and in respect of other construction works also such as road, railways, laying pipe-lines, bridges etc;. A library of such photographs should be maintained invariably and EPFO Head Office will come up with a website for keeping track of these photographs. Therse photographs are not for the sake of photographs but for coverage of all workers which are working on these sites.
(v) You were directed through an earlier circular that you should guide all the employers having more than 500 or more workers which are engaging staff on outsourcing basis. The meetings of such employers having more than 500 employees in your zone should also be held and minutes of such meetings be uploaded on the website.
3. Principal employers be made liable to ensure compliance in respect of construction / other contractual workers deployed by them through contractors / sub contractors. It may also be impressed upon the principal employer that merely giving code numbers of contractors will not be suffice. To ensure compliance of construction workers engaged through contractors / sub contractors, they should not only ensure separate ECRs containing PF account numbers of their workers burt also copies of wages salary register and attendance register. Remittances of PF and ECRs should be verified by Principal employers from EPFO’s website before releasing the bills to avoid manipulations / misappropriation of PF dues b’y their contractors / sub contractors.
4. Principal employers should also be advised to mention PF account number and UAN number on I-card of each worker. UAN numbers of all workers be got activated so that the workers can get their E-pass books and even know about deposit of PF by contractors lat month alongwith PF balance just by giving a missed call from registered mobile.
5. For the purpose of aforesaid inspections standing permission is granted and matter should not be referred to seek permission from CAIU at Head Office.
6. Action on these above points should be taken and a monthly report should be sent as to how much coverage of employees increased in your area. It needs to be ensured that such workers get the UAN so that he is entitled for portability benefits. Monthly report be submitted by 15th of the following month in enclosed performa by e-mail in excel format
(This issues with the approval of CPFC)
Addl. Central PF Commissioner-I (Compliance)